Awards, Honors, and Publications
Honors and Awards
- Elsevier Publishers and the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery — Certificate of Excellence for Peer Review 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Pierre Fauchard International Honorary Dental Society Inducted 2007
- American Association for Cancer Research Training Scholarship — “Methods in Clinical Cancer Research 2004”
- American Association for Cancer Research Training Scholarship — “Molecular Biology in Clinical Oncology 1999”
- Delta Omega inducted 2001 Honorary Public Health Society
- University of North Carolina Lineberger 2001 Population Fellow — For Excellence in Dissertation Research Related to Cancer
- Dean’s Award Case Western Reserve 1996 — Excellence in Clinical and Didactic Achievement
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon inducted 1996 Honorary Dental Society
- Portland Monthly has listed Dr. Geisler as one of Portland’s Top Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons since 2008 — Click here to view the list
Dr. Geisler Featured in AAOMS Today
For being appointed to serve on the Health Evidence Review Commission in Oregon.
Click the image below to see more.
“Molecular Predictors of Survival and Disease Recurrence From Head and Neck Cancer”
- Award: $35,000 each year for two years
- Funding Period: 2004-2006
- Principal Investigator
“A Double-Blind, Randomized, Vehicle-Controlled Study Comparing the Safety and Efficacy of Benzydamine Hydrochloride 0.15% Oral Rinse Including a Separate Open-Label Standard of Care Arm in Subjects With Radiation-Induced Oral Mucositis”
- Funding Period: 2004
- Co-Investigator with John Holland, MD
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Foundation
“A Multifactorial Study of Survival in Head and Neck Cancer”
- Award: $55,000
- Funding Period: 1999-2001
- Co-Investigator with Andy Olshan (Graduate Advisor)
Reviewer for the following journals:
- Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology
- American Dental Association
- The Lancet
- Cancer Detection and Prevention
Memberships and Associations
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Clackamas County Dental Society
- Oregon Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Western Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- Lake Oswego Gallery Without Walls Selection Committee 2020-2022
- Oregon Dental Association Regulatory Affairs Council 2018-2021
- Oregon Dental Association Leadership Academy 2018-2019
- Oregon Dental Association Annual Meeting Council 2009-2015
- DOPAC Board of Directors Oregon Dental Association 2006-2009
- Vice President Multnomah Dental Society 2007-2008
- Oregon Dental Association DOPAC 2006-2007
- Multnomah Board of Directors 2006-2008
- “Coronectomy is an effective strategy for treating impacted molars in close proximity to the inferior alveolar nerve” Geisler, SA. JADA 2013 (144): 1172-1173.
- “Preoperative Antisepsis with Topical Chlorohexidine in Clean-Contaminated Surgery May Reduce Postoperative Wound Infection” Geisler, SA. ADA Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, October 2012.
- “Maxillomandibular Advancement May Be An Effective Intervention for Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea” Geisler, SA. ADA Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, September 2011.
- “Stability of Mandibular Advancement Following Bilateral Sagittal Split Osteotomy is Improved with Rigid Internal Fixation” Geisler, SA. ADA Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, November 2010.
- “Inconclusive Evidence for the Effectiveness of Immediate and Early Loading of Dental Implants” Geisler, SA. ADA Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, June 2010.
- “Orally administered amoxicillin decreases risk of implant failures” Geisler, SA. JADA 2009 (140):1294-1296.
- “Insufficient Evidence to Support or Refute a Specific Dental Recall Interval” Huang, G; Veitz-Keenan, A; Geisler, SA ADA Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, March 2009
- “Imaging Dengenerative Changes of the TMJ: Evidence Using Dry Skulls and Autopsy Specimens” Geisler, SA: ADA Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, March 2009.
- “Glutathione s-Transerase Polymorphisms and Survival from Head and Neck Cancer” Geisler, SA; Olshan, AF; Weissler, MC; and Smith, J. Head Neck 2005 Mar; 27(3):232-42.
- “P16 and P53 Protein Expression as Prognostic Indicators of Survival and Disease Recurrence from Head and Neck Cancer” Geisler, SA; Olshan, AF; et al. Clinical Cancer Research, 2002; 8(11): 3445-3453.
- “GSTM1, GSTT1 and Risk of Head and Neck Cancer: A Huge Minireview” Geisler, SA; Olshan, AF. American Journal of Epidemiology, 2001; 154(2): 95-105.
- “DNA Repair Polymorphisms XRCC1 and Risk of Recurrence in Head and Neck Cancer” Geisler, SA; Olshan, AF; Weissler, MC; and Smith, J. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Annual Meeting 2004.
- Carcinogen Metabolizing Enzyme Polymorphisms, Tobacco and Alcohol Use, and Survival” Geisler, SA; Olshan, AF; Weissler, MC; and Smith, J.5th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer July 2000.